Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Sydney Saturday.

Having finally got my licence last week after years of pretending I would, I find myself wanting to drive everywhere. I know this initial novelty will soon run out, especially after my experience last night of trying to get to St Leonards and ending up down the bloody Cahill Expressway in North Sydney (many thanks to my sister and Sarah for coming to the rescue and sincere apologies for crying hysterically on the phone to my brother and best friend). Shaken but not broken, it has dented the cocky P plate driver I was for a few days. I do want to make sure everyone takes advantage of this honeymoon phase though, as I am literally thousands of kilometres in debt to family and friends. Last Saturday my sister kindly let me drive us over the Harbour Bridge for an Oxford Street expedition.

An experience in itself is a visit to the Palm Beach Shoe shop - 370 Oxford St. This tiny store is overflowing with gorgeous shoes and grumpy customers. The novelty of this shop is navigating around the hoards of people, picking a shoe you like, trying to find an assistant then trying it on while avoiding stepping on someone’s toes or knocking over the shoe displays. I enjoy a challenge and managed to walk away with a divine pair of black ankle boots for $75. People in the store are very entertaining to observe. As it is the size of a matchbox they tend to be on edge, it is a true test of your strength and many troops simply give up, abandon their shoe and escape outside for some much needed oxygen. I do feel quite sorry for the lovely people who work there, unfortunately manners seem to go out the window when crowds are involved.

The next stop was Fringe Bar, which is transformed every Saturday into indoor
markets. The club atmosphere is still present as you can sip on champagne while the DJ pumps out awesome music. Every time I go to these markets I make a mental note to dress much trendier next time but end up forgetting / do not possess that effortlessly stylish gene and always find myself drooling in envy at my fellow, hip shoppers. The stalls are a mixture of vintage, up and coming designers and regular brands. http://www.thefringe.com.au/

Across the road at the Paddington markets you can find cute little nick knacks, clothes and scrumptious, cheap lunches. I fell in love with a stunning top for a reasonably priced $45. It is one of those pieces that is almost too pretty to wear, no outing is worthy of its beauty but I know I will cave and whip it out soon. For the time being it is hanging in my wardrobe like a work of art as I continually gush at its splendour.
http://www.paddingtonmarkets.com.au/

After all this intense shopping a caffeine and banana bread hit is essential. We
stopped at an adorable café and florist called Lilifields. It is like walking into a secret garden. Another bonus is the great supply of trashy mags to accompany your meal. It is a quiet refuge from the chaos of Oxford Street and the tranquil pitter-patter of the fountain could trick you into thinking you are in an exotic, far away forest. They were also very generous with their honey and ricotta servings, which always leaves a good impression in my books. http://www.lilifields.com/


Now I obviously needed to take my new shoes out for a spin. It would be cruel leaving them locked up on a Saturday night. Where is the best place to take your cute new shoes out for a shameless jig you ask? 77 on William Street is a crazy cesspool of brilliance. There are so many reasons why I adore this club. Where else in the world could a man in a sparkly, red sequined dress and beard not only be let into the club but fast-tracked to the front of the queue? Where else could Kylie Minogue be played one minute then Bag Raiders the next? I love the fact they turn away people who are dressed ‘too sensibly’. It is the opposite to all those wanky, pretentious Sydney clubs. Collared shirts die, costumes, freaks and cross-dressing thrives. It was their first birthday on the weekend and the club, which reminds me of a trashy, dingy basement, was turned into a colourful circus tent. The male door bitches were dressed as ringmasters in g-string leotards and the star DJ of the joint, Hookie, was decked out in equally outrageous attire. The place is a circus every weekend but its true potential was really brought to life on Saturday night.

I live for these Sydney Saturdays. The thought of a day spent like this gets me through the week and although it’s not an overseas adventure it is still an exciting affair between myself and my lover, Sydney.


- BELLA

No comments:

Post a Comment