Thursday, June 11, 2009

Getting Off The Ground

It has been freezing in the south-east state of Victoria over the past couple of days. I've stepped out of the house with good intentions to exercise only to be rained on and forced to head home for warmth and TV. Some are depressed with the thought of having to deal with 6pm darkness, full-time jobs and a dwindling party scene while other friends are getting excited to fly to Europe to live it up in the Greek Islands and for me, the South of France.

My impromtu decision to book a $2,300 flight (thank you credit card) has surprised a few people as I only returned from my previous trip in February of this year. I will definitely have a few debts to tie up after my month of fun but I am making sacrifices at the moment so that I can keep them to a minimum.

Hello 15 euro vodka sodas in St Tropez ($30.00 AUD)! I'll make sure I pack my hip flask and some duct tape...

So the point of Today's blog is that many Aussies are setting off on big and small trips (many chasing the sun in Europe) and are in the midst of packing, organising accommodation, obtaining credit cards and studying maps of the world. I want to help YOU get off the ground.

Below is a list of ways to get your booty organised for travelling overseas. These tips were compiled with Georgie, my friend whom I travelled with on my last 9 month trip. We have detailed and helpful tips for popular destinations in Europe and America that will be disclosed on demand or as I feel motivated! Stay tuned travellers and read below:

Photocopy passport, driver's licence and credit cards.

Go to DFO outlets to get backpacks and cheapo clothes - $5.00 ballet flats anyone?

Make sure you have internet banking and tell the bank you are going overseas.

Exchange some AUD for Euro (or the appropriate currency) in Australia for initial taxis, buses and food for when you first arrive in a foreign place.

Book at least the first night's accommodation.

Take a folder in your hand luggage with all your flight and accommodation information, gum, chocolate, lollies (on the off chance your plane food is average) plus lip balm and moisturisers.

Take appropriate adapters for overseas power points and chargers.

Expect delays and detours with planes. Don't stress, take it step by step, as Whitney Housten does.

Allow international roaming for your mobile phone but remember that to both send AND receive messages it costs a bomb!

GET PUMPED! Take an iPod an play songs like Miss Independant by Kelly Clarkson and Holiday by Madonna to get you through the long flight.

With Love,

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment