Monday, June 22, 2009

I Wheelie Beg You to Take a Backpack!

The wheelie vs. backpack debate is an issue close to my heart so please forgive my ranting tone. There are many reasons why a backpack easily trumps the impractical wheelie bag. Sure, in theory a wheelie bag sounds like a dream to take away but I have witnessed the harsh (yet hilarious) reality of those poor souls trudging along cobble stone paths and battling up and down stairs with their bag.

I must confess it took me a while to learn this, I used to be a non-believer. My first trip away was only for one month and I loathed my backpack. I was tempted to throw it in the bin and buy a wheelie. I used to whisper in my friends ears, bribing them to give up and jump in a taxi with me, to please ‘come to the dark side because I just can’t carry this anymore!’ I now know this was my fault for packing 25kg of unnecessary junk (various pairs of heels I never wore, pretty frocks, useless accessories and the like). On my second trip, my backpack never exceeded 15kg and I took the bare essentials (ok, and some pretty frocks too). When I felt it getting heavier (courtesy of habitual trips to H&M, Topshop and Zara) I just sent packages home, which is cheaper than you think in many Eastern European countries. You have to accept that appearance comes second and comfort comes first.

The wheelie bag is great for a world that is flat and full of smooth, cement roads but that doesn’t exist, especially not in Europe. The only thing you will get from trying to be a ‘backpacker’ with a wheelie is a very sore arm, a lot of anger and embarrassment as you slowly drag yourself and the bothersome bag from A to B, and if you’re very lucky a few missed trains or planes a long the way.

A backpack, although intimidating at first, will eventually become your best friend. This love affair is always spurred on by the people you see having domestics on the street with their wheelies. I am on the much lower side of 5 ft and let’s just say I even battle carrying cordial jugs, so if I can do it anyone can. A backpack is far more secure on your person than a wheelie as well. Anyone can run up and pinch a wheelie from your hands where as a backpack is literally strapped onto you.

I once helped a pair of ladies getting to the station with their wheelies and it was a nightmare. We pulled it through unidentified crap on the streets of Krakow and one strap was even broken from past journeys, when I did the same route the next day with my trusty old backpack it was more than twice as quick.

Of course wheelies are appropriate in the right context like a resort holiday or a trip that doesn’t involve much moving about, or in Holland where there truly are no hills. If you want to have the real backpacking experience, don’t cheat yourself - use a backpack. Not only for the obvious practicality reasons but please honour the golden rule: to be a legit backpacker you must have a bloody backpack in the first place!


- BELLA

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember a certain trip to Noumea where upon arrival at Sydney airport, not even off home soil, your "wheelie" broke.
    Alas, the backpack wins again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How foolish and naive of me to bring such a hunk of junk! My backpack and I really do belong together.

    ReplyDelete